For me there is definitely a difference between gratitude and appreciation and the emotional energies that are contained in each mental state.
‘Gratitude’ is often tied in with having met a challenge and being thankful for having moved through to the other side – finally! There can be a ‘struggle’ element to the feeling and though it is an energy coming from a high vibration, it is not as high as that when we’re in ‘appreciation’.
‘Appreciation’ is a lighter (literally) vibration and staying in this energy also helps in attracting and creating what we want. When we’re in this energy we will stay out of attracting such things as criticism and even manage to stay out of noticing things coming from a dense energy. If we notice them – we draw them to us. What we focus on (and particularly judge) – we create.
Appreciation is more contained within oneself and is tied in with the connection that we have with ‘all that is’ – in that we appreciate our connection to the beauty around us – maybe our appreciation of nature for example. It’s a ‘feel good’ energy about something that really is obvious within us on a feeling level, whereas gratitude is more a ‘thank you’ energy – more for something that’s happened outside of us. For me appreciation also follows when ‘something’ that maybe I’ve wanted happens out of the blue and I truly feel appreciation for this as I’m not consciously aware of having ‘made’ it occur.
It is always a suggestion of mine to clients that they do an ‘appreciation list’ every night as they go to sleep – going over their day and ticking off all the things they can appreciate that have occurred during that day.
Also it’s great to do the same again as we wake up – to set the day up, because as we come out of sleep, we pass out of the Delta state and through Theta – a ‘state of mind’ where we’re more attuned to being able to draw towards us what we’re wanting to create.
By being aware, being in gratitude and appreciation and expressing both for the things we experience – we raise our vibration which makes our lives flow easily and joyfully.
Some of the ways we could use to stay in ‘appreciation’ are:
* Stay out of judgment and criticism of ourselves and of others.
* Be more aware of what we are experiencing and how we feel. Be aware of what’s around us. You could refer to Mindfulness in Self Mastery Keys regarding how to be more in the ‘NOW’.
* Use Louise Hays’ mirror techniques – saying in the morning that I ‘love and appreciate myself’ and…..
* Let go of anything that the mind might bring up after saying this affirmation to ourselves.
* Learn other ways to love and ‘nurture’ ourselves.
* Say ‘I appreciate’ more – in our minds – or to others.
* And the obvious one – focus on what we have in our lives – and stay out of focusing on the opposite.